Many people throughout the past couple of thousand years have believed in Jesus Christ. In fact, many believed in Him before He was “born of a woman, born under the Law” (Galatians 4:4). Yes, that’s right, they believed the Law and the Prophets that not only spoke of His coming but that He would also abolish the Law of Moses and fulfil the Prophets’ prophecies of which one was to “make a new covenant” (cf Jeremiah 31:31ff; Matthew 5:17 and Colossian 2:14) and God’s people would have a “new name” (Isaiah 62:2; Acts 11:26; I Peter 4:16).
It is one thing to believe in someone and another thing to do as he says. This is precisely what Jesus was getting at in Luke 6:46 “And why call ye me, Lord, Lord, and do not the things which I say?”
Contextually He addresses the religious hypocrites of His day:
- The rich who live it up yet ignore the poor.
- The religious who are respected by their fellow man but are guilty of believing in false teachers.
- The seemingly pious men of love but are really bigots of the highest degree.
- The outward generous looking who, in reality, are seeking a reward of some kind for that generosity.
Oh, they believe, alright, so long as it fits their definition of belief.
It is no different today. Let’s see, what about this list below, do you fit one or more of the following? Are you one who announces belief in Christ but yet your actions actually deny Him?
- You might be one who says one can be a Christian without the need to attend church. Really? Jesus says: He would build his church (Matthew 16:18), Paul said Jesus purchased the church with the blood shed at Calvary (Acts 20:28). So, the Saviour goes to such lengths for His followers only for you to say it is not necessary – think again. The church; that is, those called out from the world aka disciples were “first called Christians in Antioch” (Acts 11:26).
Why do you call Jesus your Master yet do not obey Him, for you cannot be a Christian unless you have been added to the church of Christ for Christian and the church are one and the same.
- You might be one who says one can belong to a denomination such as the Methodist, Lutheran, Baptist etc and be recognised as a Christian. Really? How can this be when Jesus only promised to build His “church” [singular]. There is no mention of churches with names such as that which encompass today’s so-called “Christianity”. In fact, before 1500 AD the vast majority had not yet come into existence. Until after this date Henry the VIII had not stolen the Roman Catholic chattels and started the Church of England. Calvin had not written his theses of repudiation of corrupt Roman Catholic dogma, nor had Luther pinned his theses up on their door at Wittenberg. John Wesley had not formulated his methodology of study that led to followers in what is called the Methodist Discipline nor had John Smyth gone into apostasy from the church of Christ to form what is now known as the Baptist Church and so on we could go. Even the Roman Catholic Church did not come into being until well after the Council of Nicea (c. 325 AD) despite their claim that Peter was the first Pope as per the nonsense they derive from Matthew 16:18. Besides all of this, Paul condemned sectarianism in I Corinthians 1:10-17; Galatians 1:6-9.
Why do you call Jesus your Master yet do not obey Him, for you cannot be a Christian and a member of a man-made denomination; the very idea is foreign to the New Testament. There is only one church of Christ provable because they follow only that which the New Testament authorises, for “If any man speak, let him speak as the oracles of God; if any man minister, let him do it as of the ability which God giveth: that God in all things may be glorified through Jesus Christ, to whom be praise and dominion for ever and ever. Amen” (I Peter 4:11).
- You might be one who says your religious leader, who might be known as say “Pastor”, “Reverend”, “Pope” or whatever title your church has designated those to lead you, will tell the truth on how and what I should do to be a Christian. Really? Jesus said that if you truly love Him you will keep his commands (John 14:15). Paul said it is up to you, as an individual, to determine the truth by “rightly dividing the word of truth” (II Timothy 2:15). You, personally, will be judged at the end of time by this standard which is whether you have rejected or kept the word of Christ (John 12:48). You, not your advisor, must do a self examination to see if you are really in the faith (II Corinthians 13:5). Besides, how can you trust men or, as is fashionable in these post-modern times, women leaders to advise you correctly when they cannot even understand this basic teaching of Jesus: “be not ye called Rabbi: for one is your Master, even Christ” (Matthew 23:8). Paul says women are to remain silent and not usurp authority given exclusively for men to lead (I Corinthians 14:34; I Timothy 2:12ff).
Why do you call Jesus your Master yet do not obey Him, for you cannot be a Christian on the advice of men; rather it is the “word implanted [which] is able to save your souls” (James 1:21). You see, your faith can only come about in an authentic way by hearing and applying that faith which God has given through Christ (Romans 10:17) precisely that which the church of Christ practices.
There is much more that one can point to in order to prove you are not a Christian such as whether you have submitted to the New Testament plan of salvation or whether your church is scripturally organised but I am sure you get the picture.
Here is a little tip: check out the search engine of this site and type in church of the Bible or what must I do to become a Christian or does God approve of denominations and then study the scriptures provided and see if these things are so.
Posted in Apostasy
, False Religion
, Scripture Error
and tagged Apostasy
, False Religion
, Religious Error